Monday, October 30, 2006

Vet’s Park Cyclo-cross suffer fes…er Race.

Boy, what a turn around from the last race weekend. This day was different, the course was soggy, no pavement and a few dry fast areas, oh ya, and it was freaking windy, real freaking windy.

During the warm up, I rode alone. Just sort of seeing who was lurking on the course, and watching some different lines that the other guys were taking. Then Joel from the Wolverines roll past, shit, I say to my-self, I’m going to have my work cut out for me today. Well, I go thorough the rest of my pre-race ritual, squeeze in to my skin suit. Then head to the start line to poach my spot.

The starter calls us off and let us head to the line. Front and center is where I’m headed. I don’t want to be any-where near the mess of people that caused the pile up last weekend on the 1st lap.

The whistle sounds, all you can hear is people clicking in and dropping gears. I shoot to the front, with Joel on my rear wheel, I mange to hold him off for most of the 1st lap. He made his move and was off to the front; I latched on and stayed there until the lead group of 3 became a group of 6. Then I made it happened, I swung him around dragging Andy Klumb with me.

The two of us worked together for the rest of the race, fending off the attacks from the other racers. Until the bell lap, it was on. Andy hung with me attacking on the climbs, and making a pass on the final hill. He didn’t get far as I attacked him in on the next flat, and proceed to drop him. With a half a lap to go, I stood up and sprinted to my 1st Cyclo-cross victory.

Iceman is next.

No comments: